What is the value of lithium battery recycling?
As more and more users use electronic products and new energy vehicles, the use of lithium-ion batteries is also increasing, but the recycling of power batteries on the market has not yet reached a "small peak". At present, China is already a big country in the production and consumption of batteries in the world, with an annual consumption of 8 billion batteries. Waste batteries are generally treated with landfill, incineration, composting and other treatment methods together with domestic waste. There is a lot of recycling work and it is also very urgent. The next article will explain lithium battery recycling from the next few points.
Harm of 1. waste lithium batteries to the environment
Lithium batteries do not contain mercury, cadmium, lead and other toxic heavy metal elements, but also cause environmental pollution. For example, after the electrode material enters the environment, the metal ions of the anode of the battery, the carbon dust of the cathode, the strong alkali of the electrolyte, and the heavy metal ions will increase the pH value of the soil, which will cause heavy environmental pollution, and improper handling will produce toxic gases.
In addition, the metals and electrolytes contained in lithium batteries are harmful to human health. For example, cobalt can cause intestinal disorders, deafness, myocardial ischemia and other symptoms. Therefore, dealing with waste lithium batteries can not only bring economic benefits, but also contribute to environmental protection and sustainable social and economic development.
2. lithium battery recycling is much lower than the total amount of scrap reasons:
1) Domestic lithium battery recycling is not sound in terms of channels, systems and systems. Most waste batteries, especially digital batteries, are not recycled.
2) lithium battery recycling laws and regulations and rules have yet to be improved. Recycling is stipulated in the main body, but it has not been strictly enforced.
3) Due to technical secrets or unclear economic benefits, some suppliers did not recycle used batteries.
4) In order to reach the theoretical life, the batteries that need to be scrapped are still in circulation in the market due to cost problems. The actual total scrap volume is much lower than the theoretical scrap volume, and the recycling volume is also reduced.
3. lithium battery recycling applications:
1) Gradually use batteries that meet the energy attenuation (such as lithium iron phosphate batteries, ternary material batteries) (used as energy storage or low-speed electric vehicles).
2) Decompose batteries that do not have echelon utilization value, and recycle nickel, cobalt, lithium and other materials (such as digital batteries, some ternary material batteries). GGII survey shows that in 2018, the total amount of power battery recovery, the amount of batteries used in stages is 2460 tons, and the total amount of recovered and disassembled batteries is 109300 tons. The field of battery recovery, especially the field of power battery recovery, is far lower than the scale of recovery and disassembly.
4. Battery Recycling Policies and Trends
1. Lithium battery recycling is facing opportunities
2. The State Council issued the "Energy Saving and New Energy Automobile Industry Development Plan (2012-2020)" in 2012, emphasizing that the formulation of battery recycling management measures, the gradual use of power batteries and the establishment of recycling management systems for the secondary use of lithium batteries are global trends.
5. China's lithium battery recycling mayor/market analysis
According to statistics, the scrap of power batteries in China in 2016 is about 2-40000 tons. Around 2020, the cumulative scrap of batteries for pure electric cars and hybrid cars in China will exceed 150000 tons, reaching about 170000 tons. It can be seen that the recycling of waste lithium batteries has a broad market.